Mathew Joseph - Professor (Economics) & Mentor (Research)
Email-ID : firstname.lastname@example.org;email@example.com
He is a recipient of Indian Exim Bank International Trade Research Award (ITRA) 1993 for the best PhD thesis which he submitted to the University of Glasgow, UK. He completed his M.A. (Economics) from the University of Kerala (gold medallist) and M Phil from University of Glasgow (first rank). He has taught Macroeconomics and International Economics in FORE School of Management, New Delhi during 2011-13. Hehad been Senior Consultant (2007-2011) at Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations (ICRIER), a premier economic policy think tank based in New Delhi. He had worked in USAID-India State Fiscal Reform Project as Deputy Chief and Senior Adviser (2005-2007) and as Head of Research at ICICI Bank (1995-2002). He had been a member of the Indian Economic Service (IES) having stood first in the all-India IES examination held in 1974 and worked in Government of India, Ministry of Finance as Deputy Economic Adviser (1990-1995). He had also been a member of the Board of Directorsof Tolani Shipping Company Ltd.(Corporate Office: Mumbai) during 1995-2003 and of Aarvee Denims Limited (Corporate Office: Ahmedabad) during 1995-2000. He has several years of experience in policy research. He has authored five books and several articles in journals and newspapers, and also presented papers in many national and international conferences. His research/consultancy interests include open-economy macroeconomics, public debt management, financial sector, industry, regional development, retail and global governance.
Work Experience (Teaching / Industry / Research)
- Research and policy making role in Government of India, New Delhi during 1974-1995. Deputy Economic Adviser in Ministry of Finance, New Delhi during 1990-1995.
- Head of Research in ICICI Bank, Mumbai during 1995-2002.
- Senior Adviser & Deputy Chief at USAID-India State Fiscal Reform Project during 2005-2007
- Senior Consultant at ICRIER, New Delhi during 2007-2010.
- Chair Professor (Economics and Business Policy) at FORE School of Management, New Delhi during 2011-2013.
Publication ( Book / Article / Case ) / Paper Presentations
- Book: Exchange Rate Policy: Impact on Exports and Balance of Payments, Deep & Deep Publications, New Delhi, 1992.
- Book: Mid-Year Review of the Indian Economy 2007-08 (co-authored with Rajiv Kumar, Karan Singh and Manjeeta Singh), Shipra Publications, Delhi, 2008.
- Book: Retail in India: A Critical Assessment, Academic Foundation, New Delhi, 2009 (co-authored with Nirupama Soundararajan).
- Book: Reflections on Chinese Management Styles and Business Ethics, co-edited with Jitendra K. Das, Bloomsbury Publishing India Private Ltd., 2013.
- Book Chapter: “Financing of Indian Firms: Meeting the Needs and Challenges of the 21st Century” (co-authored with R. Nitsure and M. Sabnavis) in India: A Financial Sector for the Twenty-first Century, Oxford University Press, India, 1999.
- Introductory Chapter(jointly with TT Ram Mohan and R. Nitsure) in Regulation of Financial Intermediaries in Emerging Markets, Sage India Publications, New Delhi, 2005. (Also one of the editors of the book).
- Chapter: INDIA (co-authored with Rajiv Kumar) in Growth and Responsibility: The Positioning of Emerging Powers in the Global Governance System, Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung, Berlin, 2009.
- Book Chapter: “India and Global Governance” (Rajiv Kumar and Mathew Joseph), In the National Interest: A Companion Volume, Santosh Kumar (editor), BS books, New Delhi, 2011, pp 157-164.
- “WTO and Indian Banking Sector: The Road Ahead” (co-authored with Rupa R. Nitsure), Economic and Political Weekly, June 15-21, 2002, pp. 2315-2322, Mumbai.
- “Performance of Southern States: A Comparative Study” in Economic and Political Weekly, 13 September 2003, Mumbai, pp. 3915-3930.
- “Performance of Northern States: A Comparative Analysis”, Economic and Political Weekly, 7 February 2004, Mumbai, pp. 564-579.
- “Northern States Versus Southern States: A Comparative Analysis”, Working Paper No. 134, Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations (ICRIER), New Delhi, May 2004.
- “Indian Economic Outlook 2008-09 and 2009-10” ICRIER Working Paper No. 234, March 2009 (co-authored with Rajiv Kumar, and others).
- “Global Crisis: India’s Response”, Review of Market Integration, Sage Publications, Vol 1, No.2, May-August 2009, New Delhi.
- “Global Financial Crisis: How was India Impacted?” Global Financial Governance: Challenges and Regional Responses, DIE-InWent Conference Proceedings, Berlin, 3-4 September 2009.
- “The State of the Indian Economy 2009-10” ICRIER Working Paper No. 241, October 2009 (co-authored with Karan Singh, and others).
- “Implications on the Global Financial Crisis on India’s Development Model” presentation made to CIRD-GTZ International Symposium on “Emerging Economies in the Post-Crisis Period”, 31 Oct – 1 Nov 2009, Haikou, China.
- “India and Climate Change”, presentation made to CIRD-GTZ International Symposium on “Emerging Economies in the Post-Crisis Period”, 31 Oct – 1 Nov 2009, Haikou, China.
- “Indian Economy: Selected Methodological Advances”, (with Karan Singh and others), ICRIER Working Paper No. 253, February 2011.
- “Global Crisis Response and Its Implications, India Vs China” Working Paper No. 11, FORE School of Management, New Delhi, December 2011.
- “India-Japan Trade and Investment Relations and Their Future Prospects” paper presented to Symposium on Japan-India Relations in the 21st Century Asia-Pacific Era, organised by Keizai Koho Center in Tokyo, 19 January 2012.
- “India on a Downward Spiral: Road to Recovery” presentation to a panel discussion at PHD Chamber, New Delhi, 27 June 2012.
- “Another policy, but India losing war on inflation”, Financial Express, 20 March 2013.
- “Why freeing up food market is so crucial”, Financial Express, 4 October 2013.
- “Food for thought on Modi’s inflation problem”, East Asia Forum, 3 June 2014.
- “India needs a tight vigil on BoP”, Financial Express, 10 June 2014.
- “What does the improvement in India’s BoP mean?", Financial Express, 3 July 2015
- “Greek Crisis” presentation to Berchmans Economics Association, St. Berchmans College, Changanacherry, Kerala, 4 September 2015.
Connect With Faculty